Albion Millennium Green is an “Open Space” meant for informal recreation. But we also organise or host activities and events.
MUD CLUB ACTIVITES FOR CHILDREN AND ADULTS
Between June 2022 and March of 2023 the Catford-based Mud Club held wonderful weekly events for children on the Green. They will be continuing to use the Green for events aimed at children and adults. So look out for information and posters advertising events.
Ellie Weidman, one of the Mud Club leaders said this about the Mud Club activities on the Green: “We would love families, parents, grandparents and carers to join us and have a little peace and calm in nature whilst we cook together, make delicious herbal teas (and good strong coffee) and have a good chat! The small people can explore, feel freedom and, if they want, get involved in some forest arts and crafts. We want to create a space where the forest energy can be soaked up by all!
A feeling of community, of warmth and nurture! One parent described a session as ‘MAGICAL’ and that is really what we want to get across. There is nothing more cosy than sharing homemade food cooked on the fire together!”
Since 2018, the Green has been home to a Forest School for toddlers.
ARTS AND CULTURE
Over the years, the Green has hosted arts events and a festival. Our biggest arts event to date was LEAF (Little Ecological Arts Festival) which took place on 1-4 May 2013. It included commissioned art installations, informal art projects, a theatrical production, and more. Plans for LEAF 2 (2020) were interrupted by Covid-19.
The Green is also a lovely spot in which to read, write, draw or take photographs.
We aim to run at least one Community Party a year, in the Summer. These are informal family friendly events, featuring art activities, nature walks, games, and refreshments.
Local schools also make use of the Green for nature study trips.
Albion Millennium Green has its own seven-circuit Classical labyrinth. It was constructed in 2013 by local artist during the LEAF festival mentioned above. Watch out for blog posts which will provide further information about labyrinth walking (and its health benefits, for instance) and other labyrinth-related activities. See our
The Green is entirely run and managed by volunteers. Volunteer workdays are organised by the Friends of Albion Millennium Green and (subject to Covid guidelines) take place EVERY SECOND SATURDAY OF THE MONTH from 10.30 to 2.30.
Our focus is on plant-management and on the overall maintenance of the site. Our aim is to strike a balance between encouraging natural growth and biodiversity and creating an environment that is safe for all.
You are welcome to join us for some or all of that time. Bring gardening gloves and wear sturdy footwear. Tools are provided. We assemble near the Albion Villas Road entrance. Please note that there are no WC or hand washing facilities, and no facilities for refreshments; do bring your own if required.
If you would like to enquire about using the Green (post-Covid) for a special event or activity, please contact us on email@example.com
ACTIVITIES BLOG POSTS
- Early Signs of Spring (January Workday)On the second Saturday of each month we hold Workdays on the Green to which all are welcome. Join us at the Albion Villas Road entrance at 10.30 am, making sure you are wearing strong shoes or boots and have a good pair of gardening gloves to protect your hands. Do also bring any small hand tools you may have. This month (as well as the usual litter-picking) we focused on clearing areas of bramble. While bramble flowers are a…
- Our July Butterfly Identification WalkMany thanks to Steve Bolton from Big City Butterflies for leading this fascinating event on the Green, which was open to all. The species spotted were Speckled Wood (the most common butterflies on the Green this summer) as well as Gatekeeper (pictured above), Small White and Large White. Other butterflies spotted this summer were the Holly Blue, Comma, Marbled White and the Jersey Tiger (moth).
- Mud Club Fun on Albion Millennium Green!On Saturday 9 July about 25 young Mud Club members had a day out on the Green. Mud Club is an outdoor arts and crafts session for children aged 3 and over. One of the club leaders, Ellie Weedman had this to say! “What a wonderful day we had! Our job today as a team was to put some magic into Albion Millennium Green!! We truely did! It was a magical 4 hrs of very busy fun and exploring! It…
- Climate Resilience Drama Workshop with Teatro VivoWe are very pleased to be hosting Teatro Vivo on the Green again this year. Do come and join the workshop!
- At Year’s EndThe end of year on the Green is somewhat waterlogged but there is much to celebrate. Thank you to everyone who enjoys the Green, and to our Friends, Trustees and other volunteers, for collectively making the Green a safe and refreshing haven over the last year. We are also grateful for the ongoing support we receive from Lewisham Council’s Nature Conservation team and those working for Greenscene, from Nature’s Gym, and many others. This October we again received a Green…